Sewickley Bridge 1911
Ohio River Bridge No. 1, as it was officially called, stretched from Rt 65 (Ohio River Blvd.) in Sewickley, PA to Rt 51 at the junction of Coraopolis, PA, and Moon Twp, PA. The bridge opened September 19, 1911 to much aplomb. Fort Pitt Bridge Works built this lattice-beam cantilever truss, which finally closed on May 14, 1980. It was demolished to make way for a newer, modern structure.
the old sewickley bridge
- Opened: September 19, 1911
- Closed: May 14, 1980
- Design: lattice-beam cantilever truss
- Builder: Fort Pitt Bridge Works
- Official Name: "Ohio River Bridge No. 1"
The four finials spires from the original bridge still exist and are displayed at:
- The Coraopolis Public Library
- Park at Broad St and Walnut in Sewickley
- The old Sewickley train station at Chadwick and Chestnut St
- Station Square
Photos by Maiden City Snapshots